Karahci xxx

The people of Kannur are still waiting for their old glory to get back and they feel they are being sidelined because the state administration is located exactly opposite side of the state.Part of the original city of Kannur was under Kerala's only Muslim Royalty called the Arakkal and this area is still known as City. Angelo Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India.Before that, Kannur was under the Chirakkal Taluk of Madras state under British rule.When the British dominated this part of the world, they preferred Madras and Cochin as their major stations and Kannur started to lose its old glory.The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663.They modernised the fort and built the bastions Hollandia, Zeelandia and Frieslandia that are the major features of the present structure.

Kannur often known as The crown of Kerala because of its natural treasures is edged by the Western Ghats in the east, Kozhikode and Wayanad districts in the south, Lakshadeep Sea (Laccadive Sea) in the west and Kasargod in the north.

The Dutch sold the fort to king Ali Raja of Arakkal in 1772.

During the 17th century, Kannur was the capital city of the only Muslim Sultanate in Kerala, known as Arakkal.

An Indian Coast Guard Academy has received approval to be built at Kannur.

This academy will be built on the banks of Valapattanam River at Irinave, east of Azhikkal.

Leave a Reply